You should be careful how much lavender you use.
Yes this is true! I would have thought oh, you are being silly and don’t be stupid.
A toddler prematurely developed breasts and it was all due to the overuse of lavender products.
Who knew this would happen? Or could happen? I feel for the poor parents and toddler in this story. I personally would not have known lavender could manipulate the body to develop when so young.
Did you know that lavender was this powerful?
- Doctors at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne saw a 14 month girl due to her parents concern due to 2.5cms of bilateral breast tissue.
- Tests did not reveal any other signs of abnormal development and all other factors of puberty were non-existent aside from slight breast growth.
- 12 months later, the toddler’s breasts grew another o.5cm so in total it was 3cm.
- The parents noted that breast development started at 6 months.
- The parents saw a documentary on a link with lavender oil and breast development. This is when they told the doctor that the products they were using contained lavender.
- This is not just due to the child being female. Boys have had this happen as well. In the Essential Baby article it states that in 2007 three healthy boys began to develop breasts as well. A parent simply using a “healing balm containing lavender oil” made breasts develop on her boy.
According to the article:
“[The toddler’s] daily exposure included lavender wipes (20 wipes/day), lavender shampoo (5ml alternate days), lavender body wash (5ml daily), lavender moisturising cream (10ml daily) and lavender skin soothing lotion (10ml daily). Specific lavender oil concentrations are unknown.”
“Past laboratory studies have suggested lavender oil can have an oestrogenic effect without causing elevation of actual oestrogen levels. These findings match the Melbourne toddler’s case, as tests on her showed no elevation in oestrogen.”
“Doctors told how once the parents stopped using lavender products on the girl the growth stopped, and her breast tissue immediately receded.”
(Letitia Rowlands,”Warning over lavender after baby develops breasts”, Essential Baby, Published:February 26, 2015)
Links for more information on Lavender:
- Lavender – Herbs at a glance. Info from US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Lavender – Wikipedia
- Bad science gives lavender a bad name. An article that is questioning the fact that lavender is to blame. Maybe having too much is bad and a little is okay? I am not sure as I never knew that lavender could do this at all.
- Lavender Oil & Male Hormones – Livestrong.com
- Lavender Oil May Spur Breasts in Boys – WebMD
- Neither lavender oil nor tea tree oil can be linked to breast growth in young boys – From The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy
While researching about lavender and breast development I came across a site that said that lavender has been used naturally to enlarge your breasts for hundreds of years. It did say that this is not proven way to do this. However it did state that people are doing it and it seems to be working. Not sure as never tried it, and don’t want my boobs any larger than they are already.
It got me thinking.
As a busty woman, or blessed individual in the breast department.
What natural oil or thing could make mine smaller? What natural oil gives you a breast reduction? If you know you can send me a message.
Disclaimer: I am no expert, I am not a doctor or scientist. I thought this was interesting as it has happened to real people, and real doctors have reported on this as well. As a parent I had no idea and thought that it is best to share.
Have you had a problem with lavender? Has it caused an issue for you or your child? Or do you think this is just silly? Let us know.
Let us know your thoughts. Why not continue the discussion on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
What do you think?