Lately I have been at a loss to how to help my hair. It seems to be like straw, falling out and just looking horrible lately. It could be my age (yes well over 40), it could be hormones, or it could be that I am lacking a vitamin or two.
Or it could be just stress and being in desperate need of a holiday (however with the restrictions, lockdowns and border closures a holiday is not going to happen any time soon.
It is not just my hair that is of concern, I am wanting to improve my overall health. Greens, vegetables and fruit offer so many health benefits, and having them everyday will make sure I stay super healthy.
I am hoping that adding this go to green smoothie to my daily routine will make me feel better, have more energy and it will also help my hair and skin too.
“The recipe comes in around 270 calories and has a whopping 20 grams of fiber per serving from all that produce, which helps give it some staying power.” https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7823948/reese-witherspoon-drinks-this-green-smoothie-every-day-heres-the-recipe/
I have tried many things to help me out, vitamins, sunlight (could it be vitamin D?)
So thought why not give this green smoothie that Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon swear by, a good go.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce (I bought a huge mixed bag of Kale and spinach)
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 whole banana
- 1 whole apple (core removed)
- 1 whole pear (core removed)
- 1 whole lemon (rind removed)
- Celery (optional) ( I purchased the pre-cut celery sticks and added 2 of them)
- Almond butter (optional) (I didn’t have almond butter but added 2 tablespoons of Macro Cereal LSA. It has Linseeds (50%), Sunflower Seeds (35%), Almonds (15%)
I deviated from the method Reese uses to create her smoothie but rest assured it all ended up blended and mixed so I suppose it really doesn’t matter how you get there, as long as it is all zapped and ready to drink.
- I added the coconut water to the blender
- Then added half a bag of my kale and spinach leaves
- I made sure all was well and truely chopped and all liquid, then added the pear, lemon, banana, 2 sticks of pre-cut celery, an apple sliced (I didn’t take off the skin so had to blend a little longer), and then 2 tablespoons of Macro Cereal LSA
- I blended for a little extra time to make sure all ingredients were thoroughly mixed in well and there were no lumps.
- Now pour into a glass and add the reminder of the smoothie to the fridge for the next day.
“Reese also mentions that she originally heard of this recipe from her Little Fires Everywhere co-star, Kerry Washington, years ago: “I sat next to her at an awards show and I didn’t really know her but I said, ‘Your skin is so beautiful, what do you do?’ And she said, ‘I actually think it’s this drink… it’s just really changed my skin and it makes my hair and nails really strong’, so I was in.” https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7823948/reese-witherspoon-drinks-this-green-smoothie-every-day-heres-the-recipe/
Post Smoothie Review
My first batch was very tasty and rather thick that it was a bit of an effort to drink with my reusable straws. My second batch I used the reminder of the coconut water and added an extra pear to the mixture.
I am only on day four of having this green smoothie daily but I think it is giving me more energy and get up and go. I know it is early days yet and being on it for a month or two you will see more results with your skin, hair and rest of your body.
Are you a fan of green smoothies? Have they helped you? If so let me know.
Sign up for my newsletter
Stay current with all the things that are happening on Mummy to Twins Plus One. Don’t miss a thing by signing up for my newsletter. This newsletter will list all giveaways and fabulous things that are happening.
What do you think?